The Countryside Angels is a collaborative group of angel investors primarily from Iowa and Southeast Minnesota dedicated to providing outstanding financial returns to its accredited angel investors while assisting early-stage companies and providing them with a source of funding.
We accomplish our objectives by providing a platform for our members to view and exchange information about investment opportunities.
Our members collaborate on vetting deals and due diligence but make individual investment decisions.
Countryside Angels is member managed and works through the commitment of volunteer time from its members. It is not a fund nor is it an incorporated entity. It is a loosely organized group of accredited investors with interest in investing in the same types of businesses.
Our members are interested in investing equity in early stage, fast growth companies that are seeking $50,000 to $1,000,000 in one of the above focus areas.
Countryside Angels is a group of active rural investors looking to invest in early stage businesses primarily in the upper Midwest.
Countryside Angels believes that opportunities exist to help grow these early-stage entrepreneurs through a structured, well-managed angel investment process. Our goal is to create value for early stage businesses, so they are ready for the next financial investment while providing the opportunity for a profitable return to the angel investors.
Our members make individual investment decisions. Potential member/investors will collaborate on due diligence and negotiations for each opportunity of interest.
Countryside Angels will meet at various locations on a quarterly basis to hear presenting companies. It will seek other angel groups, venture capital firms, entrepreneurial accelerators and others to collaborate on deal flow, member training and syndication of investments.
- Must be an accredited investor, as defined under SEC Rule 501 Regulation D.
- Members are expected to attend meetings and participate in screening and due diligence as part of the collaborative process.
- Generally, members must reside or work in rural Minnesota or Iowa.
- Members should have a working understanding or functional experience in agriculture or agribusiness, share our vision and be willing to actively contribute to our process.
- Members should be interested in investing capital and expertise in the upper Midwest.
- Our members make individual investment decisions on each deal. Minimum investment per deal, per member is $10,000.
- At least 90% of the members at any one time must reside or work in a rural area as defined by the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
- I will conduct myself in a professional manner at all times.
- I will respect the privacy of other members and not provide their name to any third party without their permission.
- I will keep membership information confidential.
- I understand and recognize that the meetings and communications are focused on investment pursuits and will not solicit another member for business.
- I will disclose to the group any relationship I have or may have with a presenting company, including any personal gain I may receive from the company.
- Greater access to quality investment opportunities (deal flow) both locally and through affiliation with other regional angel groups.
- Cost and time efficiencies gained through deal screening, group presentations, shared due diligence, and cooperative term negotiation processes.
- Networking and the ability to co-invest with other local accredited investors with complimentary entrepreneurial and industry expertise.
- Opportunity to enhance returns and to diversify one’s personal investment portfolio.
- The satisfaction that comes from building a successful business from the ground up.
- Chance to give back to one’s industry, community and region.
- Opportunity to learn and grow personal investment abilities both informally from other members and through educational programming sponsored by the Countryside Angels.
- Opportunities for mentoring entrepreneurs and serving on the boards of companies where one has an investment.
- Each member automatically becomes a member of the Angel Capital Association and can access all of its resources and benefits.
As a service to its members, Ag Ventures Alliance will provide marketing, administrative support, membership to the Angel Capital Association, meeting space, training and other advice at no cost. Those who are not Ag Ventures Alliance members wishing to join Countryside Angels must first join Ag Ventures Alliance. There is a $250.00 initial fee for AgVA membership and a $25.00 annual renewal fee. This is much less expensive than joining comparable angel networks in the Midwest.
Being a member of Ag Ventures Alliance does not automatically make you a member of Countryside Angels. They are two separate organizations, so AgVA members must apply and be accepted as members of Countryside Angels.
Initially Countryside Angels will hold quarterly meetings in various locations in the region. Frequency and locations of meetings may increase over time depending on the wishes of the membership. It is expected that one or two companies will present at each meeting.
Proposals must be submitted two weeks prior to each meeting to be considered at that meeting. A short description of each potential presenter will be provided to each member 10 days in advance of the meeting and interest level of the members responding will determine which deals present each month and at which locations.
Meetings will be held to 75 minutes in length. Each presenter will be allowed 15 minutes to present and five minutes for questions. Questions concerning financial information of the company or terms of a possible investment will not be allowed.
Business presentations will not contain any detailed financial statements of the company, detailed pro forma financial statements (summary information will be allowed) or any pricing or terms of a possible investment. The only document that may be distributed at the meeting by the company is an executive summary. No offering documents will be distributed to members prior to the presentation or at the time of the meeting. Questions regarding past, current or future financial condition or investment pricing or terms will not be allowed at the meeting and if asked will not be answered.
Countryside Angels member names and contact information shall be kept confidential from presenting companies and others. Presenters will not be given the names of those in attendance at the presentation. Instead, each person in attendance will receive an “indication of interest form” to fill out and turn in to Ag Ventures Alliance at the end of the meeting. AgVA will then connect those interested in further discussions with the presenters at a later date. After the initial meeting it will up to the angels and the business to coordinate meetings phone calls, etc. All due diligence and negotiations will be the responsibility of angel members and not Ag Ventures Alliance.